What is AeroLab?
Colorado AeroLab is a statewide network of blended education centers in partnership with Colorado school districts.
Each site is a unique laboratory-based learning environment that empowers students through
multidisciplinary problem-solving design to create social impact and change in their local communities.
The Future of 21st Century Learning
Laboratory-based learning teaches resilient knowledge in an environment of acceptable risk-taking.
The AeroLab curriculum is a multidisciplinary course in problem-solving design challenges, social-emotional learning, leadership development and Essential Skills-building and social impact projects to create positive change in local communities.
- Research and development
- Project Management
- Problem-solving design theory and principles
- Design of Experiments
- Team collaboration and professional practice
An expeditionary spirit fuels curiosity and discovery
that leads to lifelong learning.
Experimentation connects content knowledge to
real-world application for future success.
Success is the consistent practice of discovery
across the spectrum of life.
How AeroLab Works
Lab-based learning gives voice and choice to students.
Students earn valuable credentials demonstrating academic and personal readiness for the future.
Explore these basic guidelines and contact us with questions.
- Capstone Projects
- Essential Success Skills Microcredentials
- High School Diploma Endorsements
- Social Impact Design Challenges
- Active Hands-On Learning
- Student Investment Teams
- Emotional Intelligence and Leadership Programs
- Community Engagement
- 5th Day Multidisciplinary Curriculum
- Capstone Projects
- Essential Success (CTE) Skills Badges
- Design of Experiments and Problem-Solving Curriculum
“Never lose a holy curiosity.
You will go far.”
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the scoop?
- Our mantra is: Explore. Experiment. Discover. And we take it seriously for fun! The AeroLab curriculum is built on 4 key elements to teach essential skills and reinforce academic learning: EQ–Emotional Quotient, Brain Games, Genius Hour and Design Challenges. Each component contributes to the student’s portfolio toward earning the Capstone Project, High School Diploma Endorsements and Essential Skills badges.
- What do we do at 5th Day?
- Here’s a sneak peek for the first quarter of School Year 2018-19! [shhh… don’t give away any secrets!] Helium Stick and String of Pearls…Survive the Moon and Hubble Huddle…The Ramen Experiment and 5 Chairs…Human Robots and Cubelets…Grit Manifesto and Escape Room!
Is AeroLab like a regular school?
No… but a little bit Yes. AeroLab will call you to apply the knowledge and skills you learn in regular classes to new and exciting projects and design challenges. That means you need to be sharp on what you are studying in subjects like math, science, history and English as well as up-to-date on classroom assignments and projects.
What does AeroLab cost?
AeroLab is a free 5th Day program for middle school and high school students currently enrolled in participating Colorado school districts. Students in private or homeschool environments may join where space is available.
What makes AeroLab unique?
AeroLab is a blended education center that integrates academic core content with lab-based learning. Students will be challenged to focus on the practical application of knowledge through problem-based learning and design challenges. Research proves that experiential hands-on learning is the best educational strategy to ensure success in college and career pathways into adulthood. AeroLab connects deeper learning with the energy and fun of playful exploration and discovery.
What about grades and credits?
AeroLab is a competency-based education program. That means students must master the skills and tasks required to complete their projects in order to earn badges and advance to the next level. Students will receive personalized instruction and coaching to achieve their goals. 5th Day is a not-for-credit program and students do not receive traditional grades.